Kanpur Electricity Supply Company Ltd. is a company incorporated under Companies Act, 1956 and having its registered office at 14/71, Civil Lines, Kanpur-208001.
Kanpur Electricity Supply Company Ltd. was formed on 14 January 2000 under U.P. Electricity reform act 1999. This company is registered for distribution of electricity in the area under Kanpur City (Urban) by U.P. Government Gazette No. 118/P.-1/2000/24-152-P./98 published on 13/01/2000. According to geographic condition the complete region of Kanpur Nagar Nigam is decided as the work area of KESCo. Boundaries of above KESCo region are upto river Ganga in North, upto river Pandu in South, upto I.I.T. campus in West and upto villages of Chakari in East. The total area supplied electricity by KESCo is around 500 Square K.M., which comes in jurisdiction of Kanpur Nagar Nigam. Kanpur is the main hub of industries in North India. The big industries in the KESCo region are M/s Lohia Machines Ltd., M/s H.A.L., Ordinance Factory, Small Arms Factory, Field Gun Factory, Tanneries and Ganga pollution institute etc. KESCo is serving around 700 bulk consumers and 4,35,000 other consumers of domestic, commercial and power categories connected to grid through 66 no. 33 KV substations and 340 no. 11 KV feeders after receiving electricity from 7 transmission substation of 220 KV and 132 KV of U.P. Power Transmission Corporation Ltd. KESCo has installed total 146 power transformers (capacity 935 MVA) and 3215 distribution transformers in its distribution network.
In pursuance of a reform-restructuring exercise erstwhile UPSEB was unbundled under the first reforms transfer scheme dated 14th Jan 2000, into three separate entities:
- Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) - vested with the function of Transmission and Distribution within the State.
- Uttar Pradesh Power Rajya Utpadan Nigam Limited (UPRVUNL) – vested with the function of Thermal Generation within the State.
- Uttar Pradesh Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (UPJVNL) – vested with the function of Hydro Generation within the State.
Through another Transfer Scheme dated 15th January, 2000, assets, liabilities and personnel of Kanpur Electricity Supply Authority (KESA) under UPSEB were transferred to Kanpur Electricity Supply Company (KESCO), a company registered under the Companies Act, 1956.
Need for the further unbundling of UPPCL ( responsible for both Transmission and Distribution functions) along functional lines was again felt after the enactment of the Electricity Act 2003, and four new distribution companies (“Discoms”) were created vide Uttar Pradesh Transfer of Distribution Undertaking Scheme 2003.
- Dakshinanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited (Agra Discom).
- Madhyanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited (Lucknow Discom).
- Pashchimanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited (Meerut Discom) and
- Poorvanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited (Varanasi Discom)